Browse Answers

Sign In

Added: 8 months ago

What is the process for claiming assets (house) when separating from a common-law partner?

I have been living with someone for 7 years so that assumes we are considered common law. I want to end the relationship. We bought a house together. I put $8,000 for downpayment and he put $3,000. I would like to keep t… (Read more)

Top Answers

Samuel Michaels

Founder & Lawyer, SM Legal

In general, when a common law couple separates, they can enter a private separation agreement which will determine the division of assets or, if no agreement is reached, either spouse may decide to pursue legal recourse to divide the assets and seek further support.

If you require further legal assistance, we can recommend Carolina Bruckson (, an Ontario-based family lawyer.

Answered: 8 months ago