Browse Answers

Sign In

Added: 8 months ago

Can I get back custody over my child after exercising abandonment?

Before visiting a lawyer, I would like to know if it's possible for me to get my 15-year-old son's custody back. At this moment, Child and Family Services Alberta is my son's legal guardian because he has anger issues an… (Read more)

Top Answers

Samuel Michaels

Founder & Lawyer, SM Legal

Yes, it's definitely possible. The first thing I would suggest to do is to write out a clear, well-organized timeline of events that explains the situation with your child, how the circumstances have changed, and why you believe your child should be returned to your custody now. Also, if there is any relevant documentation or evidence make sure to hold on to it. I have also found some resources that I hope will be useful for you. I suggest you consult as many as needed before making a decision about how to proceed. 1) Family Law Information Centre - Grand Prairie 780‑833‑4234 2) Edmonton Community Legal Centre 780-702-1725 3) Calgary Legal Guidance 403-234-9266 4) Student Legal Services of Edmonton All these resources provide free information over the phone, and can direct you to the correct forms to appeal the custody order. You may also be able to get a lawyer through one of these services.

Answered: 8 months ago