Browse Answers

Sign In

Added: 8 months ago

Can I apply for the pension monies of my late ex-husband, for the years we were married?

My ex-husband worked for a car manufacturer company all his working life. He passed away recently, and I was told I would be able to apply for pension monies for the years we were married, no matter what the divorce docu… (Read more)

Top Answers

Samuel Michaels

Founder & Lawyer, SM Legal

The best course of action would be to reach out to your late ex-husband's employer - General Motors - to determine if you might have a claim on a portion of the pension, corresponding to the years you were in marriage.

Legally speaking, pensions are divided during divorce proceedings, but it is possible for a beneficiary to exist, who isn't a spouse.

Finally, it could be in your best interest to have a lawyer representing you in dealings with GM.

Answered: 8 months ago